5 April, 2018 @ 4:30 pm – 6:00 pm
Term 1 Professional Learning Seminar: Improving Your Students’ Reading & Comprehension Skills
English Teachers Association WA
Trinity Ave, East Perth 6004
Thursday 5th April, 4:30pm – 6:00pm
The ETAWA would like to invite members to an afternoon of professional learning.
Presented by Dr Margaret Merga, from Curtin University, this session on reading comprehension can help you to improve your students’ performance in reading comprehension, both in the classroom and on the NAPLAN and OLNA tests. We will explore the nature of reading comprehension, and how we can develop and support reading comprehension in our students. This will involve closely examining what expert readers do, and how we can make these strategies visible and applicable for our students. We will also look at reading comprehension test items, with particular attention to questions occurring in a reading comprehension context that are actually testing other skills and knowledge. The presentation draws on a body of relevant research to inform it.
Dr Merga will be followed by Mrs Susan Lazenby, HOLA at St George’s Anglican Grammar School, who will look at the specific nature of comprehension within the context of the ATAR English courses.
- Tea, coffee and snacks will be supplied.
- Trinity College is located between Trinity Ave and Nelson Crs, in East Perth.
- There is free onsite parking, as well as ticketed street parking on Nelson Crs.
- Claisebrook Train Station is close and both the Red & Yellow CAT buses stop nearby.
- It will be held in the Staff Lounge, on the 3rd floor of the Cultural Centre Building (overlooking Nelson Crs).